Saturday, March 22, 2014

International Person of Mystery

This past Thursday I had the opportunity to go with the team up to the Dead Sea for a short holiday. Here's some pics of where we stayed.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108532852514122909750/DeadSea?authkey=Gv1sRgCIvctsTd4eLKzQE# 
While waiting for Sarah to pick me up so we could begin our three hour journey I started to think of all the things that are part of life in another country that have become normal to me but I'm sure seem strange to others. Come to think of it, living in another country is a lot like being a spy...

13 Ways Living in Another Country is Like Being a Spy

1) Military and security check points become a regular part of life
 - When traveling to and fro in Jordan I've met mandatory security check points that stop every vehicle and check everyone's ID papers. I've become so accustomed to this part of life that I always carry my passport with me.

2) Fantastic locations become common place
 - Swimming in the Red Sea, visiting Petra, seeing the Roman ruins...things particular to the country you live in become less and less exotic to you as time goes on. Traveling anywhere is cheaper and easier as well once you're out of the US.

3) Sometimes a secret identity is needed

4) You acclimate to the culture but it never becomes your own making you feel like you live a double life.

5) Communication with your "home base" has to be scheduled, often at strange times
 - Sleep gets sacrificed every once in a while because there is a 7, sometimes 12, hour difference between myself and those back in the states that I want to 

6) Success is being mistaken for a local
 - I've had tourist come by Souk by the Sea and commend me on my good English.

7) You have to learn how to assess a possibly dangerous situation and plan multiple escape routes quickly.

8) Every day events like grocery shopping have to be mapped out and have back up plans.
 - There are multiple grocery shops in town but only one has coffee filters, I plan accordingly.

9) You might find yourself having full conversations in a foreign language; if not, you know enough to get around

10) You participate in local celebrations and festivities

11) Guessing the nationality and/or vocation of a total stranger becomes a reflex

12) You accept that some stories won't be shared with your loved ones back home
 - Sorry

13) You never step outside without your sunglasses


1 comment:

Steph Elise said...

Number 6 is especially impressive!! :)