Saturday, March 8, 2014

Something to take Home

As my time in Jordan shortens, I've begun to realize everything that I am going to miss. Also, I've been trying to think of things to take with me. So I asked my fellow GC worker Jumana to teach me how to make a local dish that I could easily replicate back in the states. She agreed to teach me how to make Kufta. However she was a little nervous about making it because it was the first time she would be in charge of ordering the meat. It was becoming a learning experience for both of us. Determined to do it together, we walked to the grocery store, ordered a kilo of meat, had the butcher grid onion and parsley in with the meat and returned to my house victorious. Then the preparation got underway.


Kufta starts out ground meat mixed with onion, parsley and a variety of spices. After working the spices through the meat with our hands, we rolled the meat into smaller balls and lined the bottom of the pan with them.


On top of the meat you can put potatoes or tomatoes. We opted for potatoes so that Jumana could make her fabulous lemon-tahini sauce for the dish.


We made the sauce by juicing two lemons and blending the juice with cup of tahini and some water. After covering the dish with the sauce, we added some additional spices to the top of the concoction.


Lastly we covered the dish with foil and put it on top of the stove to cook. This was the quick way to cook it. Normally, you would have to bake the Kufta for an hour; on the stove top it took about a half hour. We did put it in the stove for a few minutes after this but only to make sure the top was cooked sufficiently.


Jumana, Kelsey and I enjoyed our success together. Most of the dishes I've had in Jordan have simple recipes but they are bursting with flavor and personality. I can't wait to introduce my family to this great meal.


No comments: