Saturday, December 7, 2013

Advent Day 6: More than a Streetmarket

First the much awaited pictures from a day in Eliat.  https://picasaweb.google.com/108532852514122909750/Eliat?authkey=Gv1sRgCPDhh9uP3pv4sgE#

Next, I'm sure you'd like to know why yet again my post is late. Well, ya see Friday nights are Souk by the Sea nights here. 

Souk by the Sea is a local market that runs from 4 until 11 pm Friday nights between the months of September and May. The Souk offers local handicrafts-men the chance to present and sell their traditional crafts and original creations to the tourists who stop into town on their tours of Jordan. Green Creations is one of the booths featured alongside Arabic calligraphy, olive wood sculptures and decorations, natural stone jewelry, Dead Sea spa products and multiple one of a kind goods. Tourists can also drink Arabic coffee while they get traditional Henna designs and enjoy live entertainment. What I like about Souk is that it's never boring. On busy nights, I get to meet people from all over who have gone on sporadic vacations or who are taking a break from the fast-paced life in the capital. People from all over come to share their stories with us and I get to tell them about Green Creations and about this town that I love. On slow nights, I get to know the other vendors, hear their stories and learn about their lives here. These are people that I would not meet normally and so getting to talk with them is always very interesting. This is what Souk is: a place where stories are told and where people share in the stories of others. The story of Jordan gets told through the entertainment, the time honored crafts displayed, and through the people who make and sell them. I don't have too many pictures of the Souk yet but you can check out Souk's website bellow, or their Facebook or twitter page (make sure to like/follow us).

Souk website: http://soukbythesea.com/

https://picasaweb.google.com/108532852514122909750/Souk1?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHcwe7Oht7eTQ

My next post is not late; I am just going to hold off on posting it until tomorrow morning so that you can fully appreciate this post and build virtuous patience.

No comments: